So you want to build your own website? Don’t do it. You’ll ruin your business and die alone.
Really, there are good reasons you may want to build your own website. While you’re not a web designer/developer, there are a lot of providers who make building a basic website fairly easy. Even if you’re selling online through your own website, requiring encryption and security, providers like Squarespace can help you. Further down, you can download a comparison of many different providers. We would recommend building your own site in the following scenarios:
- You have a limited budget – Budget is obviously a big element in this. A custom website is typically going to start at around $1,500 to $2,000, That’s a big outlay if you don’t have the cash flow coming in to support it.
- Good enough is good enough – Between some of the limitations of web builders and your own limited skills, getting exactly what you want is going to be challenging. As such, you’ll have to be content with less than your dream website.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) isn’t important – A lot of the website builders have very limited functionality when it comes to SEO. Even if it has the right functionality for a well optimized site, you’re taking on two tasks that aren’t your skillset: web design and SEO. If SEO isn’t a big deal for the short to medium term, don’t worry about it.
- Co-branding isn’t important – If you don’t mind having your website provider’s name on your site, this is a great option. Many web builders include this.
- You’re a Business to Business (B2B) provider – When you’re selling to other businesses, you’re often relying on personal selling. As such, your website typically functions more as a limited online brochure than a sales tool. You can refer to it, but a lot of your sales are going to be generated person-to-person.
On the other hand, there are going to be scenarios for when you’re going to want to work with a web designer:
- You are unyielding in your vision – If you have an idea in your mind of your website, and it must be exactly as it appears in your mind, you’re going to want to work with a designer.
- Your website is integral to your overall marketing strategy – A good web designer is going to listen to your overall strategy and assist in creating a website that fits seamlessly into that plan. If you’re doing email marketing, social media marketing, direct mail, or any other strategies that drives traffic to your website, you’re going to want to consult with a designer. They will be able to offer ideas and help you understand best how the website works into your marketing.
For those of you who fall into the former category, Download this web builder comparison. Hopefully, it will make your day a little easier.
If you want to stay up to date on our marketing tips, follow us on LinkedIn. Thanks!